Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Turning Old Frames Into New

So I took some time off of my personal crafting into making some customized mason jars for sale on Etsy! It was extremely successful BUT my home decor is slacking. And we bought a brand new home that will be ready hopefully by the end of the year. Which means it is time to catch up on some projects of mine. I finally decided on theme colors for each room (yes my OCD and Pinterest obsessions have gotten the best of me.) Right now I am redoing a dining room table but because it is very time consuming, I have started some of my smaller projects. As in... turning some of my old picture frames into something great! 
Turning this ordinary frame into...
THIS!
So I had this plain black 12 piece picture frame I got at Marshalls. Probably, 2 or 3 years ago. Even though it was $10 I couldn't seem to part with it. There seriously wasn't even a scratch on it. So... Being the crafty person that I am, I decided why not paint them to the color that I want? Duh! Anyways here is what you will need.

I love working with Americana acrylic paint. The Craft Smart paint I noticed took more coats and wasn't as thick.
You will need a paint brush (preferably a small one), acrylic paint, and your choice of picture frame(s). Make sure your frame(s) are completely clean. I would recommend using just an ordinary paper towel and water. Be sure to take the glass and if you already have a photo in it out of the frame. You will have cleaner work and you don't have to worry about taping the glass.


Time to start painting! Figure out what pattern you are doing first before you start to paint. This seems like the obvious thing to do but you would be surprised how many people just jump into painting, and then regret their end results. I chose to stick with three solid colors. Sometimes simple is best, especially with a lot of frames put together. I ended up doing three coats for each color. Some of the white frames I had to do four coats. Also, be sure to make sure each coat is fully dried before applying the next coat.


Tada!! So easy and super cute! The turquoise came out vibrant and I couldn't be happier with the end results. Anyone can seriously do this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment