Tuesday, August 12, 2014

DIY Savings Jar

Everyone has bank accounts now including a savings account. On Pinterest I came across this lady who turned an old shoe box into a secret savings account. Whether she found loose change or put extra cash at the end of the month in this box. She sealed it shut and couldn't see inside of it. In a year she opened it and had over 5 thousand dollars saved up! On top of her normal savings that she had going. I love this idea! You can make one for a future vacation or DIY project you have been wanting to do. I made one 4 or 5 months ago and opened it last week and we had almost $500 saved up! Now I'm making a new one and wanted to share with all of you! This is great to teach your kids to save too.

Supplies
Krylon all purpose spray paint (pick a color that isn't see through)
Plastic or glass jar from the dollar store (make sure it has a lid you can cut through)
Tissue paper of your choice
Glue
Ribbon
Construction paper
Emblems (like jewels or flowers etc.)

Instructions
Take the lid to your jar and cut a good size hole on top. Be careful! Mine was plastic so using my scissors worked. Not the most beautiful job but it did the trick. Then take your tissue paper and you want to double up. Meaning, cut your square to fit your lid but fold it in half so that way you can't see through it. Apply glue around the edged of the lid and neatly fold over the tissue paper. Don't forget to cut the center too! 

Next, spray paint the bottom part of the jar! Make sure you are in an open space, no need to breath in those chemicals. Keep your distance while spray painting to avoid paint streaks. Let it dry, both lid and jar. Once they are both dry, glue the lid and jar together and again wait for it to dry. (You want to make sure you can't access this on the daily bases. Hence gluing it all together.)


Time to decorate! Take your ribbon and trace the top rim of he jar. Here is where you can add your own touches like flowers or jewels etc. Get creative and make it your own!


I then added with my construction paper a label. (I like to label everything!) I wrote what it was and when to open it. These were the colors I chose for my savings jar. I keep it in our laundry room with my cute bright teal theme. Hopefully this sparks the creativity in you! It's a lot of fun for kids to put coins in it too. Olivia loves to help me!

No comments:

Post a Comment